Individual Cherry-Blueberry Trifles
I love dessert and, these layered cherry-blueberry trifles are a great tasting,healthy, and simple make-ahead dessert. We like to use fresh fruit when in season, but frozen (thawed)fruit is delicious and works well too.
1 1/4 cups halved pitted fresh cherries or thawed and
drained frozen cherries
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries or thawed and drained frozen
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
16 ladyfingers (see Note)
1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (see Note)
4 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
1. Toss cherries, blueberries and brown sugar in a medium bowl.
2. Layer 2 ladyfingers, about 1/4 cup fruit mixture and 2 tablespoons yogurt in four 10- to 12-ounce tumblers or similar-size glasses.
3. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers, fruit and yogurt.
4. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
5. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon almonds just before serving.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Top with almonds just before serving.
Notes: For this recipe, we recommend using ladyfingers with a soft, sponge-cake texture found in the instore
bakery of most supermarkets. The crunchy Italian ladyfingers (sometimes found near specialty
cookies) are too big to fit into individual serving dishes and won’t soften as well.
Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk, which gives the yogurt an extra-thick
and creamy texture. Look for it with other yogurt in large supermarkets.
Tip: To toast sliced almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring
constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 236 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 20 gadded sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.