Let me paint a typical holiday picture. You've begun an exercise program, and you know that frequently eating out could slow your weight loss and fitness progress, if you're not careful. So what do you do?
When the waiter comes over do you say, "I'm trying to eat healthy but I have no idea what to order. What do you think I should eat?”
The waiter smiles, thinks for a moment and then gives you his idea of a healthy meal. "The eggplant and roasted pepper pasta is filled with vegetables. You could get that with a salad.”
The vegetables sound healthy. So you order the veggie pasta with a side salad and a diet soda. Then you sit back to enjoy a few slices of bread.
That sound like you? I hope not, because if it is you it's not surprisingly that you're unable to lose weight even though you exercise regularly.
There's an adage that states that 80% of your weight loss results are derived from diet, and the remaining 20% from exercise, so you can see how important it is for you to stick with a healthy eating plan.
Use the following ideas as your guide to eating healthy in your favorite restaurants:
Appetizers are a great way to start out a leisurely meal, but can also derail your good intentions to stay fit in a hurry.
Anything fried. Fried foods are a favorite, but will do damage that even the most intense workout won't undo.
Creamy dips. These are filled with fat and usually come with something fried to dip in it.
Bread. It comes smothered in cheese or seeped in butter, and even when it's plain it fills you up with more carbohydrates than your body needs.
Green salad. Ask for very light dressing and no croutons.
Antipasto. A plate of thinly sliced meats, olives and cheese will start you off with some protein.
Lettuce wraps. These are delicious, protein-filled and low in carbs.
Calories in drinks are sneaky because they don't fill you up. This means that you end up taking in far more calories than you bargained for.
Regular or diet soda. On one hand you're drinking corn syrup through a straw, on the other you're drinking chemicals that cause you to crave sweets. It's a no win situation.
Sweet cocktails. Many restaurants are advertizing sweet cocktails –resist the urge. Sugar plus alcohol equals loads of unneeded calories.
Sweetened tea. You may feel righteous for ordering iced tea, but if it's sweetened then you may as well be drinking fully loaded soda.
Water. Don't laugh! Water is the best beverage of all.
Unsweetened iced tea. Don't ruin it by adding that packet of sugar. Learn to enjoy the natural sweetness to the tea.
Red wine. Stick to one glass, and drink responsibly.
This is where the real damage is done. When you order something carb-loaded you leave the restaurant feeling heavy and lethargic; you may not even realize this until you start eating better and experience the light, energetic way you'll feel after eating a healthy meal.
Pasta. I don't care if it comes with red sauce or white sauce, meat or veggies. If you're trying to lose weight and maintain a lean body then never, ever order a plate of pasta.
Pizza. Another dish that has far more carbohydrates than you need. If you're craving the pizza toppings then simply order those over a salad.
Burgers. If you really want a burger then ditch the bun and the fries, and have your patty wrapped in lettuce.
Lean meat with vegetables. Fish, steak, chicken, take your pick and pair it with green vegetables.
Salad with protein. Ask for very light dressing and make sure you have a nice piece of protein on it.
Soup and salad. Stick with broth based soups that contain protein and pass on the breadsticks.
If you still have question call or email today, I'm here to help. Use me as a resource.
Focus on the New Additions To Your Diet
So you've decided to ditch your old eating habits and embrace a new diet of lean proteins and lots of veggies. You know that your new eating strategy will lead to many pounds lost, but you can't get your old favorite foods out of your mind.
When you spend time dwelling on the burgers and pizzas that you loved, you're setting yourself up for a relapse.
The best way to stick with your new healthy eating habits is to focus on all the new foods that you now enjoy. Get a new cookbook or visit websites that present new and tasty ways to prepare healthy food.
Find new favorite foods to love, foods that are healthy and guilt free. There are lots of great tasting, healthy foods out there. Take the time and have the fun to finding them. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.
Until next time, remember "Stay Fit You'll Feel Better."
In a medium bowl, mix all of the ingredients together.
Heat pancake griddle to medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
Cook each side about 3 minutes until brown, then flip and cook remaining side.