Baseball Offseason Conditioning article by: Brad Warnimont University of Rio Grande (Ohio)
The game of baseball is played in a series of short quick bursts, so as coaches, why not condition athletes in the off season to enhance those attributes in players. The goal is to turn average baseball players into contributors and good players into great players. It's why baseball offseason conditioning is so important.
Utilize a lifting program three days a week--Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays
Similarly to many other conditioning programs with time and facility limitations, the entire body can be worked in these three days. On alternate days, Monday and Wednesday, the agility program is used. Split the entire squad into two groups and work for one-half hour. In agility workouts, use many exercises that improve players' reaction time, power and explosion.
Two workouts are recommended
The first workout is a station workout, and the second workout is a stairwell workout accompanied with Plyometrics. In the station workout, the players exercise at each station for one minute (2 to 30 second sets). In between each station, the players run a backward lap on the track. The stations are as follows:
1. Two laps in 25 seconds each (track 1/11 of a mile)
2. Medicine ball abdominal work - 10 pounds. Two baseball players back-to-back passing the ball over head (one set) and waist high (one set)
3. One legged dot-to-dot (both legs)
4. Jump rope
5. Reverse curls - wrist rolls with straight bar
6. Mountain climbers
7. Plyometrics - 12 inches, 24 inches, 36 inches only (one set on top, one set up and over)
8. Two-legged dot-to-dot (both feet each spot)
9. Throw-downs (abdominals)
10. One-legged half squats
11. Lateral hops over a 12-inch cone
12. Step ups - 24 inches
13. Side crunches with 10-pound medicine ball
NOTE: In the complete workout, run over a mile backwards.
The Stairwell Workout is as Follows:
• Two-feet bunny hop every step, two times.
• Two-feet bunny hop two steps, two times.
• Two-feet bunny hop three steps, two times.
• Two-feet bunny hop four steps, two times.
• Two-feet bunny hop as many as possible, two times.
• One-legged hop alternate legs, two times.
• One-legged hop two steps alternate legs, two times.
• One-legged hop three steps alternate legs, two times.
• HOP up three steps, down two steps.
• HOP up two steps, down one step.
• Sit ups 15 second sets for three minutes.
Box Height - 12 inches, 24 inches, 36 inches, 48 inches, 54 inches.
Workout - six times through, jumping on top of boxes and six times jumping up and over the boxes. The boxes are placed three feet apart.
We hope you found this article on Baseball Offseason Conditioning helpful.
STRENGTH, POWER, SPEED, CONFIDENCE
As the #1 Sports Performance Training in the South Texas, Jeff Paluseo and Sports Fitness Solutions, offers an innovative approach to strength and conditioning training geared toward the game of baseball. Jeff’s strength and conditioning knowledge is extensive in all sports, but exceptionally strong in the area of baseball where he worked as the Houston Astros strength and conditioning coach with their double A affiliate, Corpus Christi Hooks.
It’s our goal to help improve each athlete’s strength, power, speed and confidence. We work on a solid athletic foundation while staying focused on each athlete's individual goals. Our unique and proven program includes instruction in movement, injury reduction, linear and lateral speed development, foot speed and agility, explosive power development, proper weight training techniques, and functional strength training. At Sports Fitness Solutions our athletes are closely supervised as our coaches takes them through an intense 60 minute workout; attention is always paid to proper technique and safety.
The workout consists of functionally sound movement training, strength training, and conditioning with a strong emphasis on basic and proper technique. The workouts become progressively more challenging once basic techniques have been mastered. The groups of athletes are kept small, no more than 9 per group, to allow maximum individual attention.
Our Sports Performance Training Program focuses on the following areas:
• SPEED - Acceleration, Deceleration, Linear and Lateral Movement Techniques, Running Mechanics, Footwork
• EXPLOSIVE POWER - Olympic Lifting, Plyometrics, Medicine Ball, Jumping & Landing Techniques
• STRENGTH - Functional Training Thorough Instruction, Focus on Upper Body, Lower Body & Core
• CONDITIONING - Prepares Athletes to be Game Ready.
• FLEXIBILITY - Myofascial Release (Foam Rolling), Various Forms of Stretching, Muscle Activation
• INJURY REDUCTION - Identify & Correct Muscular Imbalances, Balance & Stabilization
• NUTRITION EDUCATION - Lessons, Tips and Advice
THE BOTTOM LINE IS SIMPLE, OUR PROGRAM GETS RESULTS AND WILL IMPROVE YOUR BASEBALL PLAYER!
BE BALL GAME READY – SIGN UP TODAY!
For more information regarding our Baseball Strength and Conditioning Program, please call Dave at: 774-269-3751 or send an email to: email@example.com or simply click on "CONTACT US" following and complete the form; we'll get back to you quickly.